.Live
#News

Kaduna Church Attacks: Over 170 Worshippers Allegedly Abducted, Police Deny Claims

By Erewunmi Peace

Tension gripped parts of Kaduna State on Sunday following reports that armed bandits attacked several churches and allegedly abducted more than 170 worshippers during church services.

The attacks were said to have occurred in communities in Kajuru Local Government Area, where gunmen reportedly stormed churches, firing shots and forcing congregants into nearby bushes. Community sources and leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) claimed that the victims included women and children.

A CAN official told journalists that while a few worshippers managed to escape, many others were taken away by the attackers, raising fears of a mass abduction.

However, the Kaduna State Police Command has dismissed the reports, insisting that there is no verified evidence of such a large-scale kidnapping.

The police said officers deployed to the affected areas found no confirmed cases of mass abduction and called on those making the claims to provide the names of alleged victims.

“We have visited the communities mentioned and, so far, there is no concrete evidence to support the claim that over 170 people were abducted,” a police source said.

The conflicting accounts have sparked concern among residents and religious groups, with calls for a transparent investigation to determine what truly happened.

Kaduna State has witnessed repeated attacks by armed groups in recent years, with churches, schools, and rural communities frequently targeted, making residents wary whenever such reports emerge.

As of the time of filing this report, investigations were ongoing, and authorities have urged the public to remain calm while security agencies continue to assess the situation.

Leave a comment